
FOUND: Relief in Emsworth as Missing Man Traced After Portugal Motor Racing Trip Sparked Police Appeal
RELIEF has swept through Emsworth after a missing local man who failed to return from Portugal was found safe.
Matthew, 47, had travelled to Lisbon in March and was understood to have been attending a motorcycle racing circuit.
He was expected back home on 1 April.
But when he did not return, and after days passed without the contact his family needed, the alarm was raised.
Sussex Police launched a public appeal. Local people shared it. Regional news outlets picked it up. And for more than three weeks, one Hampshire harbour town was left hoping for the update everyone wanted.
Now it has come.
The force has confirmed Matthew has been found.
No further details have been released about where he was located, whether he had remained in Portugal, or the circumstances that led to him being traced.
But for Emsworth, the headline is simple: he has been found β and that matters.
THE APPEAL THAT WORRIED A HARBOUR TOWN
The case first drew attention after police said Matthew, from Emsworth, had last been seen in Lisbon on 26 March.
According to reports, he had travelled there for a motorcycle racing event.
He was then expected to return home at the start of April.
When he did not, concern grew quickly.
Portsmouth newspaper The News reported on the original appeal, saying Chichester Police had stated Matthew was last spotted in Lisbon and that officers were trying to trace him.
V2 Radio later reported the update residents had been waiting for: Matthew had been found.
That update, published on Friday 24 April, said Sussex Police had confirmed the news and thanked those who shared the appeal and helped with enquiries.
It is the sort of sentence that looks short on a screen but carries enormous weight for a family.
NO DETAILS β AND THAT IS IMPORTANT
There is plenty that has not been made public.
Police have not said where Matthew was found.
They have not said whether he was still in Portugal.
They have not said how he was traced.
They have not released a long explanation, a timeline, or a dramatic account of what happened.
And that is how it should be unless the family chooses otherwise.
Missing person appeals are often public because they have to be. Police need sightings, shares, CCTV, travel information and anything that might help locate someone quickly.
But once a person is found, the public does not automatically have a right to every private detail.
The important update is the safe one.
For local media, and for people in Havant borough who saw the appeal being shared, the job now is to report the relief without turning a family ordeal into gossip.
WHY THIS STORY HIT HOME IN EMSWORTH
Emsworth is not a place where people disappear into anonymity.
It is a small coastal community where neighbours recognise faces, local posts travel fast, and news moves from social media to shop counters to pub conversations in a matter of hours.
When a missing person appeal carries the name of the town, people notice.
When it involves someone abroad, the worry sharpens.
Portugal may be only a short flight away, but for families waiting at home, an international search feels frighteningly distant.
Different police forces, different systems, travel records, language barriers, and uncertainty over where someone might be all make the situation more complicated.
That is why appeals like this matter.
One share can reach a friend of a friend. One sighting can put officers on the right track. One detail can turn a cold trail warm.
In this case, police have not said what helped locate Matthew.
But they have thanked the public for sharing the appeal β a reminder that community attention can still make a difference.
THE LOCAL LESSON: SHARE, BUT SHARE CAREFULLY
There is also a useful lesson here for Havant, Leigh Park, Emsworth, Hayling Island and the wider area.
When police issue a missing person appeal, sharing it quickly can help.
But accuracy matters.
Use the official police post or a trusted local news report. Do not add speculation. Do not invent sightings. Do not message relatives for updates. And if the person is found, stop circulating old appeal images unless police ask otherwise.
Old appeals can keep causing distress long after a case has moved on.
They can also confuse people who think someone is still missing when the urgent search has ended.
The best thing residents can do is simple: share verified information, update it when police update it, and respect the family when the public part of the story is over.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT SOMEONE
Police advice is always to act early if a disappearance feels out of character.
You do not have to wait 24 hours to report someone missing.
If there is an immediate risk, call 999. If it is not an emergency but you are seriously concerned, call 101 and explain why the person being out of contact is unusual.
Have recent photos ready if you can. Write down travel plans, phone numbers, vehicle details, medical concerns and the last confirmed sighting.
Those small details can save precious time.
A QUIET ENDING TO A FRIGHTENING FEW WEEKS
There is no dramatic press conference here.
No long list of answers.
No public explanation of what happened between 26 March and 24 April.
Just a short confirmation that a missing man from Emsworth has been found.
Sometimes, in local news, that is enough.
Because behind every appeal is a family checking phones, refreshing updates, answering questions, fearing the worst and hoping for the best.
Behind every share is someone thinking: what if this were my brother, my dad, my friend, my neighbour?
And behind every line saying βfoundβ is a release of pressure that most people will never see.
Emsworth can breathe again.
THE VERDICT
This was not a story anyone wanted to see begin.
A local man abroad. An expected return date missed. A police appeal. Weeks of uncertainty.
But it has ended with the update everyone was waiting for.
Matthew has been found.
The details remain private. The relief is public.
And for a small town on the Hampshire coast, that is the best news of the week.
---
*Sources: V2 Radio reporting on 24 April 2026; Portsmouth The News reporting on the original police appeal; Sussex Police / Chichester Police appeal details as reported by regional media.*
Share this article: